Sunday, March 25, 2012

Getting my hands dirty with film again.

With such a long semester centered around planning and coordinating events, it felt really nice to get my hands dirty with simply shooting on film again. This time around I got a DIY Twin-lens reflex camera that took a long time to build. The box said "1 hour assembly time. Excuse the language but My ass, it took 1 hour. That would have been the case, had the
instructions been less confusing (The parts needing to be assembled would differ from what would actually need to go into place.) and had it come with the
screwdriver it needed to come with. After around 6 hours (there were breaks in between) I finally completed the camera and works quite well.

After receiving a few rolls of film from a classmate, I so far have shot 2 35mm test rolls to see how the camera works. It holds up well in outdoor settings, favoring the golden hour.
It also worked in indoor settings. I took some shots during my shift at the greenleaf, in the library and the caf. Most of the images have a solid and natural vignetting effect applied to them which works for a number of photos. My 3 favorites invole a simple shot of a sculpture outside the art building, a hallway in the library and of a friend of mine opening her mouth with food inside. I'm very excited about the prospect of this camera and shooting some more film with it. I'd love to go to the next step in the future and buy a real TLR camera that takes 120mm film.

No comments:

Post a Comment